What is Reiki/Energy Work?
Energy work is a broad term used to describe many styles and techniques of healing that don’t require physical manipulation of your body. It’s based on the principle that everything and everyone is made of energy. In days of old, it was called “laying on of hands.” Today it goes by many names including reiki, spiritual healing, and energy touch. There is very little difference between the various types of energy work, and many practitioners will mix and match the techniques they’re trained in to give you the session that best suited to your needs.
Some forms of energy work may involve light touch but most don’t require any touching at all. The decision of whether to use light touch or no touch is ultimately made by you. For those who are interested, energy work can help clear your aura or balance your chakras.
The energy used in the various forms of energy work is the energy of Source, which is all around us. The energy work practitioner uses their body as a conduit to draw this energy into them and then focus it into your body or energy field. Where they focus the energy will depend on the issue you came to see them for.
I am fully trained in several styles of energy work, most notably reiki, kundalini energy healing, and spiritual healing. My personal reiki story is here, if you’re interested.
What Can I Expect During a Reiki/Energy Work Session?
- First, you will be asked to fill out forms with contact and health history information. There will be a short intake interview prior starting the session. This gives the therapist valuable and much needed information about the problem you’re seeking help for.
- Next, you will be asked asked to remove your shoes and lie on the massage table fully clothed. You will never be asked to undress for reiki or any other type of energy work.
- You may be covered with a blanket. If you need a pillow or were not offered a blanket but would like one, please ask. Your comfort is of the utmost importance.
- You will spend the duration of the session lying quietly with your eyes closed. You may even fall asleep and that’s perfectly ok.
- During your session soft music will play as the therapist moves their hands from one area of you body to another; touching you only if you gave permission. If you were to open your eyes, you might see their hands moving but they just as likely will be stationary. That’s normal.
- When the session is complete, The therapist will gently touch your arm or shoulder and let you know that the session is finished.
- There will be a mint and a glass of water available when you get off the table and you may ask any questions about the session at that time.
- You will most likely feel very relaxed and sleepy immediately after the session but that usually gives way to a feeling of increased energy and mental clarity shortly thereafter.
How Does Reiki Work?
To be honest, we don’t know exactly how it works. Here’s what we do know:
- It works really well for some people and not so well for others; just like any other type of treatment.
- Our bodies have an innate ability to heal themselves, but that ability is impeded by stress.
- Relaxation counteracts the stress response.
- Reiki and other forms of energy work are highly relaxing.
- Some people have miraculous healings, but most do not.
- Reiki is not a substitute for regular medical care, rather it is a adjunct to it.
- Reiki is most effective when it’s part of a comprehensive treatment plan.
- Reiki is most effective when accompanied by lifestyle and/or belief changes
Benefits of energy work
- Increased relaxation
- Stress relief
- Pain relief
- Return of body’s natural ability to heal itself
- Increased feelings of well-being
- Greater mental, emotional, and spiritual clarity
- Enhanced feelings of emotional balance
- Enhanced feelings of hormonal balance
- Decreased feelings of stress
- Integration of body, mind, and spirit
- Return of balance to body, mind, and spirit
Click the Book Appointment link below to schedule an appointment